Elvis

Did Ya Ever See Elvis?

It's a movie about Elvis, it's pretty great.  I ranked it as my 3rd favourite movie last year.

Baz Luhrmann is a wild man.  His movies are edited by someone on crack cocaine. They are crazy, luckily for us he puts down the scissors after the first  few minutes and the movie steadiest out into your usual structure of a music biopic.  Truly what the wiseman said was right, only fools rush in.



Everyone knows Elvis.  You say Elvis and I know who you mean.  He's the King.  By why?  I never really got it.  Yes he has songs I love but the fanaticism over him always seemed over the top.  I think having Baz Luhrmann direct helped this.  I mean he is over the top with his movies, have you seen The Great Gatsby?  He cuts The White Stripes into the first performance we see and it is excellent.  It really hypes up the moment.  I loved it when contemporary music played over scenes to really give a sense of the scene.  For me this makes these moments more intense.  It got your attention.  You sit up and take notice because something is different, out of place.

But we have to talk about Austin Butler.  It's the first time I've seen him in anything, let alone as a leading man.  He has a big jumpsuit to fill.  Not only the King himself but all the other actors who've played Elvis, my favourites include Bruce Campbell and Kurt Russell two incredibly entertaining actors.  He got the look, the voice and the vibe right.  I suspect a golden statue could well go his way.

And Tom Hanks basically plays the Penguin.

This is a movie that creates an atmosphere, that has an attitude and that pays proper tribute to an icon.  It is excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment