RRR

Did Ya Ever See that bonkers Indian movie RRR?  I did and it's my 2nd favourite movie of 2022.

Where do I even begin?  

I heard word circle of a movie.  A movie so crazy you'd have to see it to believe it.  Stories told of a man jumping a fence and beating up 1000 men, of another who went head to head with a tiger and won, of a dance number that could cause a riot in an Indian cinema.

It's true. All of it.



RRR is a three hour (ah!) historical musical action comedy romantic epic.  I watched it and was so blown away that I did some digging and it turns out that the two main characters are based on real historical characters.  But in real life they had a very different story.  They never met and became best friends, then enemies, then friends again.  Luckily this movie takes the Braveheart approach... Let's not allow factual history get in the way of a thrilling movie.

I know very little about Indian cinema, turns out Bollywood is one of about 10 different production houses and each has their own icons of the screen.  See RRR doesn't just stand for Rise Roar Revolt.  No no no.  It is also the initials of the director, S.S. Rajamouli and the two superstar leads, Jr NTR and Ram Charan.  I mean it is definitely a crazy start to a crazy movie.

It gives our leads two of the most incredible over the top introductions you will ever see.  Then they team up to save a boy, without ever saying a word to each other just nods and hand signals.  All this and then, only then does the title card come up.  Forty minutes into the movie, FORTY MINUTES!!!  That's two thirds of Bambi.  Here endeth the prologue.  

Look, I'm not going to break down everything in this movie because, one, it's very long, two, you need to see it to believe it.  I will say this though... This movie's base level is an eleven and it only goes up.   Everything is at its max here and it is banging. 

I never even mentioned Naatu Naatu.


No comments:

Post a Comment