Everything Everywhere All At Once

It really is.

Everything Everywhere All At Once is easily my favourite, and the best movie I watched last year.  It may be the best trip to the cinema I've ever had.

I knew going in that this was going to be an... unusual film.  Having seen Swiss Army Man, the Dainels' (directors Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert) first feature, I knew to expect something very different from your average movie.  And that's what I got... and so, so much more.

Even the basic plot synopsis screams out how different this movie is.  Let's look at the IMDb log line... "An ageing Chinese immigrant is swept up in an insane adventure, in which she alone can save the world by exploring other universes connecting with the lives she could have lived."  Okay firstly how many movies have a 58 year old Asian woman as their main character?  I can't think of any, anywhere, ever?  Definitely none coming out of the US.  Secondly, if there are movies with a protagonist like this and how many of them are action adventure movies?  If there are any let me know because I'd watch that.  What is more, the movie includes a multiverse where the Daniels throw all sorts of crazy ideas and images at.  It's hard to even list the different universes this movie poses, there are so many.  Universes where Evelyn (our main character) is a kung fu master, a chef, a rock, a movie star, a pinata, a genius, the list is endless and bonkers.  

The movie is largely in two halves, Everything and Everywhere, with All At Once acting as the epilogue.  Everything is the wild and crazy part of the movie.  It sets up the premise and unloads truck loads of gags.   It is immature and hilarious.  The second half, Everywhere, does a complete flip.  Now we pivot in the greatest and most breathtaking way you could imagine.  I'd hate to spoil it here for you.  But it layers upon that ridiculous first half with so much emotion.  The three characters of Evelyn's family get such a just payoff that even the toughest nut will crack.  Honestly I was in tears by the end of it.  It is a rare thing to have a movie take such a big turn and it works out.

"Every rejection, every disappointment has led you here to this moment"
Everything Everywhere All At Once also brings back Ke Huy Quan (Data from The Goonies and Short Round from Temple of Doom) to the screen for his first role in over twenty years and he is excellent in this.  It is great so see him again.

The whole cast is wonderful.  Jamie Lee Curtis as the jobs worth tax woman is such an enjoyable role.  But It is Michelle Yeoh's movie.  She puts on a masterclass here.  She is fantastic at handling the emotional beats and action sequences with equal excellence.  I hope she gets some serious award recognition, I only worry that as this is a smaller movie she could get snubbed.

On that.  The movie had a budget of US$25 million.  We are living in the time of $200 million blockbuster movies and, I think, that this is a greater achievement than any of them.  When I look at everything going on in this movie my mind is blown that they can do this with such a small budget and the biggest Marvel movies all look ugly, CGI browns and purple, no thanks.

But a word of warning...  This movie is not for everyone.  Whilst it looks like an ADHD fever dream I do understand that this is not for everyone.  Some of the jokes are very childish but I find that this contrasts so well with the second half of the movie.

I want more movies like this.

It is a tragedy that is movie has no UK home media release, help us out A24.


No comments:

Post a Comment